Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Go, Joe, Go!

Joe Lieberman may have lost the primary, but he is not out of the race. As he said before, if he lost the primary, then he'll submit himself as an independent. In fact, after he conceded the race to Ned Lamont, that's exactly what he did. And I hope he wins.

In the news story above, Lieberman had this to say: "I'm going forward. I'm going forward because I'm fed up with all the partisanship in Washington that stops us from getting anything done." I couldn't agree more, which is why I hope he wins. As I said Monday, I can't be a liberal Democratic supporter any longer - mainly because nowadays being a liberal Democrat means shutting off your mind and turning into a sycophant. The Democrats have changed, and not for the better.

You know what this makes me think of? 1992. Back then, H. Ross Perot had tapped into that American frustration with the two party system and how they generally generate a lot of heat without actually getting anything done. His appeal had been such that both the Dems and the GOP were actually concerned that he might have a shot at winning. However, Perot waffled on whether he'd run, and by the time he decided to do it, a lot of the steam had gone out - too much, in truth - and it killed his chances of winning.

Fast forward to today. I sincerely believe that, if Joe Lieberman does not win his Senate seat back, then he should run as an independent in the 2008 Presidential race. It won't be easy, for sure, but I believe that he would be able to tap into that frustration much like Perot did in 1992. However, unlike Perot, Lieberman has experience as a pol in Washington. And, if he plays his cards right, I think Lieberman would have a chance in '08.

But first, he needs to take care of this year. Even if he wins his Senate seat as an independent (and I hope he does), I still think he should consider running in '08. All I can say is:

Go, Joe, Go!

No comments: