Monday, June 19, 2006

Column on Joe Lieberman by David Broder

This column by David Broder presents the trouble that Lieberman is in within his own state. The reason? He's a Democrat who supports the war.

Now, I happen to have opposed this war --not so much its mission, but how it has been carried out. But before this blog entry becomes an anti-war rant, I shall continue with the point about Joe Lieberman. I happen to like Joe Lieberman, and I wish that he had gotten to nod in 2004 to be the Democratic representative for president instead of John Kerry. I think the Dems bungled badly in choosing John F. (the F is for "flipflop") Kerry, because he basically was a clone of Al "I invented the Internet" Gore. Joe is the kind of Democrat I can support, even if I happen to disagree with his views on the war.

The reason for that is because Joe seems to be a man of honor and integrity. During Bill Clinton's scandal with Monica Lewinski, Joe was the only Dem who had any balls to point out the wrong of Clinton's behavior. It was partly because of that bravery that he was nominated as a running mate for Al Gore in 2000. However, it was not enough to give him the nod for 2004.

That's unfortunate, especially giving the Dems' recent cries of "a culture of corruption" in regards to the GOP. Joe could have been at the front of that --that is, if the Dems were truly interested in rooting out the culture of corruption. In other words, the Dems' cry of outrage over that culture is for show only. No doubt, once back in power, the Dems will simply substitute the GOP's culture of corruption with their own. That's how jaded I am of our politicians' ability to change.

But Joe would have been different. He could have helped the Dems return to their roots. Instead, they've opted to continue heading down the path to their destruction that is being led by Dems like Howard "YAAAHH!!" Dean. However, Joe can see the signs, as evidenced by his comments below (and which is in the article that I linked above):

"I know I'm taking a position that is not popular within the party, but that is a challenge for the party --whether it will accept diversity of opinio or is on a kind of crusade or jihad of its own to have everybody toe the line. No successful party has ever done that."

And thus, we see that Joe can read the writing on the wall, as many former Democratic supporters such as myself have also seen: The Party of Diversity is on your side so long as you accept their idea of diversity. In that article, it mentions that Joe may have to run as an independent in Conneticut's primaries later this year. I truly hope he does, because it could serve as the start of something that will break the two-party deadlock that has been in this country for far too long.

No comments: