Saturday, November 10, 2007

Hillary Clinton's recent performance in the debate

For those of you who have asked, my thumb is better. Still not 100%, but certainly better than Monday when I last posted. At least I'm able to type at close to normal speed. Let's hit the ground running, shall we?

Hillary Clinton

I'm going to discuss Hillary some more later in the month, but I had to mention her now well-known subpar performance in the last Democratic debate, as well as her less-than-stellar defenses afterwards. One tactic she needs to leave out of her defensive arsenal is the "I'm just a girl" defense. I refer to her claim that all those men "ganged up on the woman" in the last debate. That's an "I'm just a girl" defense. They "ganged up" on her because she's the front runner in the polls right now, and not because she's a woman. That's what those lagging in the polls do to try to get the lead for themselves. (by the way, if I were one of those other candidates, I'd keep bringing that up each time Hillary tries to use it).

Hillary, as the first prominent female candidate for president, you'll be setting the example for other women to follow. Yes, certain expectations are going to be put upon you that are not put on men, but in turn, you will not have certain expectations placed upon you that are put upon men, so it balances out, thus it's not a legitimate argument to bring up in your run for office. Plus, one of your selling pitches is that you can handle the office of president like any man could. Here and now is your chance to prove it.

You can't have it both ways, claiming to be tough one minute and throwing out the "I'm just a girl" gender card the next. You will be flagged for it each time you use it, and it will certainly be used against you by the GOP later if you end up being the Democratic nominee.

I'm certain that she's been told this, but I am highly doubtful that she will be able to resist resorting to it if she feels such pressure again. In light of that, this suggests that she doesn't have the mental toughness to be president - and that has nothing to do with her gender. Someone described the difference between Bill Clinton's public persona and Hillary's in this way: Bill is Bugs Bunny while Hillary is Elmer Fudd. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Below are two YouTube clips of the debate, parts A and B. Below that is a link to Part C so that you can view the other parts of the debate, which is broken down into other parts identified by the alphabet.





Part C

Feel free, of course, to agree or disagree with what I've said above. I will note here that I have not yet seen all parts of the above debate, but I will try to. At the next Democratic debate, a magnifying glass the size of sports stadium dome is likely going to be over Hillary. The only advice I will give to Hillary is, don't use the "I'm just a girl" defense, 'cause it'll sink you faster than Bill can score a cheap date.

No comments: