Friday, April 07, 2006

Odds and Ends commentary

Katie Couric’s move to CBS

Couric’s move to CBS won’t make me any more likely to watch CBS than I am now. My guess is that the ratings will go up only briefly when she first starts out, but then go back down once the novelty of her being there has worn off. Harsh as it is to say, Couric as the anchor is largely just that: a temporary ratings draw. Will that cutesy blonde with the friendly personality really be taken serious as a journalist? I think that it’s highly unlikely. To go from cutesy to serious journalist is too large a gap for her to overcome --much like Donny Osmond wanting to be taken seriously as a gangsta rapper.

Bush authorized leak of intelligence

Is it just me, or is it kind of funny that a sentence has both “Bush” and “leak of intelligence” in it? Shouldn’t he have tried harder to retain his intelligence? ;-)

Holy Week Challenge

I’m now up to 7 victims—er, volunteers—for my Holy Week Challenge. That’s cool. :-)
I’ll be giving progress reports here next week.

Sports

The Dallas Mavericks really need to step it up to get ready for the playoffs coming next month. A HUGE test of where they are at now is tonight, when they play San Antonio. I’m still hoping that they can get the number one seed. Maybe Coach Johnson should make his profanity-laced tirades a weekly thing until the season is over! ;-)

The Dallas Cowboys’ new schedule came out yesterday, and there are 6 nationally televised games planned. How much you wanna bet that the national media is hoping to see another “T.O. episode” play out during one of those games?

Broken record time: The Texas Rangers could sure use some pitching. I am glad that baseball’s back, but this is a rather ugly start. For this, I waited 6 months?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Nice blog. I agree with your Katie Couric comment. I don't think she'll be at CBS long after they realize they aren't getting good ratings.
"Is it just me, or is it kind of funny that a sentence has both 'Bush' and 'leak of intelligence' in it? Shouldn’t he have tried harder to retain his intelligence?" That's just classic.