Thursday, November 30, 2006

Christmas questions

I received an e-mail with some questions related to Christmas, and they are attached below along with my responses. For your convenience, I've posted just the questions at the bottom so that you have them to cut-and-paste into your own e-mail. Answer them, then forward your responses to your hoodlum friends or families. It's a good way to learn about what others do for Christmas.

------------------------------------------------
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
I used to have HC, but now I have EN because my cousin can whip up a mean batch of it.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
They're wrapped. Those elves can't always just make toys!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored lights. And flashing.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. If I wanna kiss someone, I'll just swoop her into my arms and plant one. :-)

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Traditionally, we did it on the last week of November, but now it's at the beginning of December.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
At our house, we have tamales. It's a Hispanic thing. :-)

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
Most of my favorite memories are of playing football with my brother and cousins in all kinds of weather. Rain, snow, etc. We were young - and we were dumb, apparently - but we always had a great time.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I honestly don't remember. I know that at one time I did believe, and then later I didn't. I must have been about 9 or 10 when I stopped. I never had the traumatic experience of finding out the truth, which is why I don't remember when I stopped believing.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
It used to be a tradition that we opened at 12:01 am on Christmas Day. Yeah, we'd stay up that late. Now we open on Christmas Eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Lights first, then garland, then ornaments, and finally tinsel - or icicles as we called them when I was a kid.

11. Snow? Love it or Dread it?
Snow? What's that? It doesn't snow in Texas! Seriously, I don't ever recall having a white Christmas. During the few times we've had snow, it's never very much - just enough to blanket everything for a day or two. It's very beautiful when we get it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Nope. We don't have ice, either.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
No. As a kid, I just liked getting toys. I don't recall a particular favorite, though.

14. What's the most exciting thing about the Holidays for you?
I like driving around at night and seeing the houses lit up with Christmas lights. I also like driving through downtown for the same reason. It's a very nice break from the usual routine.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Pumpkin pie.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Getting together with my family, which is getting harder to do since we're getting so big now.

17. What tops your tree?
A lighted star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
I prefer giving, mainly because I love hunting for the perfect gift.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
O Holy Night

20. Candy Canes?
Only on the Christmas tree. And they're not real, but decorative.

-----------------------------------------------
Cut-and-paste and save!


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
5. When do you put your decorations up?
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
11. Snow? Love it or Dread it?
12. Can you ice skate?
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
14. What's the most exciting thing about the Holidays for you?
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
17. What tops your tree?
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
20. Candy Canes?

No comments: