Monday, March 27, 2006

My Holy Week challenge

I have issued a challenge to people I know both online and in person. For Holy Week, I challenged them to fast from the Monday after Palm Sunday through Holy Saturday. So basically, each day will consist only of one full meal, plus two smaller portions that, collectively, do not equal another meal. Normally, that is done only on Fridays, but I decided to challenge them to go a whole week and offer up their sacrifice for a certain intention.

My intention will be that the example that South Dakota set in outlawing virtually all abortions will start a domino effect that will end up in the Supreme Court. It is my prayer that this happens, and that the justices will see what a mistake Roe vs. Wade was, and overturn it. This won't make abortions illegal, it would just force the issue to the states. At the state level, the abortion issue can then be better discussed rather than imposed from above without debate as it is under Roe.

So far, I haven't had any takers for my challenge. Perhaps I brought this up too soon, or maybe they think it's too hard. I'll bring it up again later when Holy Week draws nearer. I'm not even sure that I can do it, but it would make it easier if someone else does it along with me. But if I end up being the only one, I'm still going to do it.

One of the reasons that I came up with this idea was because of a recent column in Texas Christian University's newspaper that brought up that American Catholics really do not understand the meaning of the word, "sacrifice"; especially in regards to Lent. I agreed and wrote a Letter to the Editor, and it got published (By the way, that's two LTTEs that have gotten published so far this year, folks!).

Later, I thought that fasting for all of Holy Week would be a good thing to do, so I came up with the challenge idea. We in the USA live in a land of plenty, and we do not suffer from want as they do in other countries; and this challenge will serve as a taste of what people in other countries go through EVERY DAY. I'm fortunate that I have the luxury of starting and stopping a fast; and hopefully my Holy Week fast will prove to be very enlightening.

No comments: