I get e-mail like the one below from time to time. They always make me feel like I should be living in Florida and complaining about kids today. And yes, I know that there's no #6. That is the way the e-mail came to me.
BELOIT COLLEGE'S MINDSET LIST FOR THE CLASS OF 2010
Members of the class of 2010, entering college this fall, were mostly born in 1988. For them: Billy Carter, Lucille Ball, Gilda Radner, Billy Martin, Andy Gibb, and Secretariat have always been dead.
1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
2. They have known only two presidents.
3. For most of their lives, major U.S. airlines have been bankrupt.
4. Manuel Noriega has always been in jail in the U.S.
5. There has always been one Germany.
7. They have never heard anyone actually "ring it up" on a cash register.
8. Coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake.
9. Smoking has never been permitted on U.S. airlines.
10. DNA fingerprinting has always been admissible evidence in court.
11. They grew up with and have outgrown faxing as a means of communication.
12. "Google" has always been a verb.
13. Text messaging is their email.
14. Mr. Rogers, not Walter Cronkite, has always been the most trusted man in America.
15. Bar codes have always been on everything, from library cards and snail mail to retail items.
16. Madden has always been a game, not a Super Bowl-winning coach.
17. There has never been a "sky hook" in the NBA.
18. Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
19. Reality shows have always been on television.
20. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups."
21. They have no idea why we needed to ask, "...Can we all get along?"
22. They have rarely mailed anything using a stamp.
23. They have always been able to watch wars and revolutions live on television.
24. Green tea has always been marketed for health purposes.
25. Public school officials have always had the right to censor school newspapers.
26. They have never played the game of state license plates in the car.
27. There have always been live organ donors.
28. They have never put their money in a "Savings & Loan."
29. They have always "dissed" what they don't like.
30. LoJack transmitters have always been finding lost cars.
THOT: A procrastinator's work is never done.