Monday, August 14, 2006

UK: Girl, 11, to become youngest mother

In this article is a story about an 11 year old girl who's about to become the UK's youngest mother.

Yes, that's right. She's pregnant.

Not only that, she smokes 20 cigarettes a day and drinks. At 11! What kind of child lives like an adult more than twice her age? She has had no childhood, and the blame can only go to the parents - or rather, the mother, since she's the one caring for the 11 year old. There's very little else I can say that isn't said in the article or in the commentary underneath it, so I suggest reading it for yourselves.

The only good thing I see from this is that people can still be shocked by this, judging by the commentary that the article's gotten so far. That we still have a sense to be shocked with says that we haven't completely eliminated our morals in our society - but they are certainly very ill. Many of the commentators wonder what kind of mother could let her 11 year old go around smoking, drinking, and having sex? For all we know, the mother herself may not have had a normal life herself - but surely someone in this family's life knew about this situation?

I'm just dumbfounded by all this. This deserves more commentary, but quite frankly I am at a loss as to what else to say. If I can get it sorted out, I'll post more.

No comments: