Sunday, September 23, 2007

My conservative views

Before any more time passes, let me go over my conservative views as I've said that I'd do this month (boy, the month is going fast!). Remember that last month I posted my liberal views, and next month will be my views that don't fall neatly on one side or the other. Anyway, on to my conservative views, which I shall touch on briefly.

1.) I am opposed to legalized abortion

If you don't know this about me already, then you haven't been reading my blog! It's even posted on the blurb underneath my picture! Rather than go over what I've covered before, let me just say in short that I believe that life - the kind that is constitutionally protected - begins at conception. From a scientific standpoint, when the sperm meet the egg, they combine to become a genetically unique individual that is separate from the mother and the father. Nothing changes that. The genetic code that the unborn had at conception is going to be the same genetic code that will be present during the pregnancy, and after birth. To try to see the unborn as anything other than human is to discriminate against it for things that are beyond its control, and that type of discrimination is exactly what liberals in recent decades have been fighting. So why are they stopping short on the unborn?

2.) I am opposed to a federal-level program of socialized medicine

Hillary Clinton recently announced her desire to restart her failed attempt at socialized medicine if she is elected president. In a previous blog entry on this topic, I stated that I believe that such health programs should be left up to the states as to the type of HMOs that they will carry. For instance, if New York or California wanted to have socialized medicine in all its glory, then they could have it in their respective states, with their taxpayers paying for it. However, if Texas or Florida wanted to have a plan in which private insurance companies manage most of the health care, then it can be so with them. The only stipulation that the feds could have is that everyone must be covered - they'll just leave it up to the individual states as to how that's done. This way, each state can experiment with various HMO plans to see what works best rather than a grandiose federal plan being imposed from above, which would be pretty much guaranteed to fail.

3.) I am opposed to pulling out of Iraq right away (Note: this does NOT mean that I favor the war going on there)

This is another topic that I've covered previously on my blog. In short, I opposed invading Iraq because I am generally anti-war. However, we invaded, we overthrew the power structure there, and now we are the power structure there. To leave now would be to leave a power vacuum that will be filled by various terrorist groups, thus making Iraq into even more of a quagmire than it is now. I do want a withdrawl from there, but it has to be done right in which the Iraqis are able to take care of themselves. It may take awhile, because unlike us who have been a democracy for over 200+ years, the Iraqis are learning about being a democracy from scratch. They need time to learn, and we have to be patient to give them that time.

4.) I favor tuition or education vouchers

The approach that we need to take is the GI Bill approach. With the GI Bill, the money was given to the troops to use in the university of their choice, and no requirements were attached to the money that the university accepting it had to abide by various gov't regulations. What's important is that our children get the best education possible. We can't afford (on many levels) to continue holding our children hostage to teachers' unions and gov't bureaucrats who refuse to change with the times. Our children and their parents must have alternatives available. The "right to choose", in other words, needs to extend beyond abortion. If I were running for office, I would call my tuition voucher a "limited use tax refund" that could only be spent on an educational institution. It would be a tax refund much like the tax refund you get from the IRS, which you are free to spend as you please. Thus it would be so with my limited use tax refund.

The above is what I listed in my initial post on this topic. If I think of more, I'll post those as well.

No comments: