Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am typing this blog entry in a restaurant

As we speak, I am typing this in a restaurant that has free Wi-Fi. The two coolest things today are:

1.) Laptop computer, and
2.) Free Wi-Fi

I know that many of you out there have been doing this for years, but for me, to have a restaurant within walking distance of my workplace that offers free Wi-Fi - well, the words that best describe how I feel right now are: Nerd Nirvana.

Those of you who are regular readers know of my occasional "Notes on the Journey to Nerdville." Right now, this is the closest I've felt to my higher-tech nerd friends out there.

No, I don't have a BlackBerry phone, or an iPhone for that matter. I have a cellphone, but it's very basic. So's my digital camera and digital camcorder. I don't have an iPod - although I do have an MP3 player. I don't have a Wii or XBox or other gaming system (unless you count one of those dinky "plug and play" systems that cost about $20 and have old arcade games from the 1980's installed in them). Hell, I don't even have a Hi-Def TV yet. In other words, I still have quests to complete on my journey to Nerdville. But my friends, I'll get there.

And along the way, I hope you'll follow me as I learn new things while on this journey. In the meantime, I sit here feeling a little closer to my goal of Total Nerd Connectivity - in which I will be wired to the teeth able to access the Internet anywhere and everywhere I go. And you'll know when I've reached that lofty goal, because...

...I'll be IMing you to tell you! ;-)

But for today, come celebrate with me as I enjoy this little step on the journey to Nerdville. I think I can see the spires of Nerdville from here!

No comments: