Thursday, August 21, 2008

The abortion issue again

It's interesting that my previous comments on abortion have drawn out some discussion from others I know in person and online. It's like it's the first time that they've heard that I'm prolife; even though I've discussed abortion on my blog before - a few times, actually - and that it's posted in my profile to the right!

Yes, I'm prolife. I believe that life begins at conception. I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. What's wrong with believing that the unborn are human? Why are others trying to make to feel guilty, unenlightened, or "anti-woman" just for supporting the unborn's right to live? When I ask them that, they just shake my head, probably thinking that I'm some poor, deluded fool who can't see things the way they are. Well, maybe I DO see how things really are.

What really depresses me is that some of these people stopped talking to me. I know of at least 3 people who did that to me. Before they knew I was prolife, it was all fun and games; after they found out I was prolife, their e-mails to me dropped off, and eventually I stopped hearing from them altogether. Open-mindedness, apparently, means different things to different people. But you know, I can't change how people think about me, so I stopped worrying about it a long time ago. That's something you have to learn to deal with when you write opinion columns, and when you have an opinionated blog.

The one good thing about this is that I got a true measure of someone who was on her way to becoming the 4th person to drop out on me because they found out I was prolife. But she didn't. Once she realized that I'm the same goofball that she's always known, she gradually came back to me. I'll always remember that, and I'll always appreciate that from her. She's still prochoice, but at least we're still talking with each other. She's also who I keep in mind whenever I discuss the abortion issue with a prochoice person - sometimes they do listen to prolifers.

So folks, if you want to drop out on me because of my prolife views, do so. It's your choice.

No comments: