Friday, August 01, 2008

Brief respite to get my edtoon legs back

I'll be gone for the weekend to get back into the habit of drawing editorial cartoons. Don't fret, though, because I'll be back on Monday -WITH editorial cartoons! Back in the day, I used to crank out edtoons like Amy Winehouse cranks out bad habits, but I've gotten out of the rhythm of working on edtoons.

When doing edtoons, you have to hit a rhythm to generate the idea so that you are working on the art and getting it out there before the news that it's referring to becomes out of date. Edtoons have to be done in a hurry "while the iron is hot" - which is why many edtoons you see look like hurried scrawls. The good edtoonists learn how to draw in a hurry; it's basically a matter of having that edtoon mojo going of where you get the idea, start drawing it out, put some touches to it, and then put it out there - bambambamgo.

Hopefully after this weekend I'll get my edtoon mojo back.

Have a great weekend, folks.

2 comments:

blackink said...

You're multitalented, my brother. My drawing skills petered out sometime around 4th grade, i think.

Good luck getting back your mojo.

John P. Araujo said...

Thanks, bud. I appreciate that.