Thursday, September 11, 2008

On this date...

On this date 7 years ago, I was in the last semester of getting my Master's degree. I still remember that sense of anomie that hung in the air as news reports poured in about what was happening. To this day, seeing the images of those towers can still cause my eyes to tear. A few days after the attacks, Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts Jr. wrote what I consider THE textbook case of the power of words in an opinion column. In those paragraphs, he captured the shock and anger as well as the American spirit of coming together. It's an awesome piece of work.

Read on, and get a feel for the times of that painful chapter in American history:

We'll go forward from this moment

Never forget, my friends.

-----------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
For some reason, the comment below (by "Anonymous") didn't upload into the Comments section, even though I KNOW that I did it right. I decided to post it here instead:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Leonard Pitts' column on 9/11/2001":

Thank you for posting this. Mr Pitts' article was what helped me to start healing. To this day, it still invokes the emotion from that time, and I hope that someday, my grandchildren read it to understand what happened that day.

No comments: