Thursday, October 11, 2007

Don't be such a yutz!

Yesterday I was looking up a certain word to see if it was Yiddish (the word was "schlub"). I went to Wikipedia, and discovered that there are a whole lotta words in the English language that are of Yiddish origin! Check this out!

I remember "schlemiel" and "schlimazel" from that old Laverne and Shirley TV show, because that was in their opening song. I have also heard other words such as bagel, chutzpah, schlep, and schmo. I've even used oy vey at one time or another. But there are other words that I haven't heard of. For instance...

noodge : to pester, nag, whine; as a noun, a pest or whiner

tummler : an entertainer or master of ceremonies, especially one who encourages audience interaction

pisher : a nobody, an inexperienced person (for some reason, there's several Yiddish words for various types of foolish or dim-witted persons)

meshuggener : a crazy person

ganef or gonif : thief, scoundrel, rascal

macher : big shot, important person

mishpocha : extended family

Click on the link above to see more. So don't be such a nudnik and go check it already! What am I, your teacher or something?

No comments: