Monday, March 01, 2010

Should Speedy Gonzalez make a return?




Just for the sake of disclosure (and in case you didn't know it already), I am Hispanic. With that context in place, I want to say that I would like to see Speedy Gonzalez brought back, even if it's just for a movie.

I understand why some would be offended with some of the representations of Mexico and Mexican culture in the Warner Bros' animated shorts from the past. However, to censor them would be to ignore our past and how we used to think, and no one benefits if we try to change the past. For my part, I enjoyed watching Speedy Gonzalez - and yes, even "Slowpoke Rodriguez". Who from my generation doesn't remember that classic line in which Slowpoke appears, when one of the villains says, "Slowpoke Rodriguez, he packs a gon (gun)".

I agree wholeheartedly with this line from the above linked column: "All I know is that I enjoyed his stories as a kid and viewed Speedy as one of the cooler fictional mice around, better than Mighty Mouse, better even than the iconic Mickey. " Folks, I am here to tell you that Speedy was WAY, WAY cooler than the intensely bland Mickey!

So I say, bring back the mouse from Mexico. And his cousin Slowpoke, too. Just give him some Red Bull and maybe it will speed him up some. Just don't offend him, because he does pack a gon - er, gun - after all.

No comments: