Friday, February 15, 2008

News Nuggets 2-15-08

Previously on my blog, I had what I called "Weekend Wrap-ups", but keeping a weekly schedule was not easy, especially since there wasn't always newsworthy stuff to report on week in and week out. So as of today, I shall be starting what I call News Nuggets, which shall be brief commentary on recent news events. That way, I can take care of such commentary while such news is still current, rather than waiting until the weekend. While I’ll be posting the News Nuggets sporadically, I’ll semi-aim for Fridays to post them. So thus, we begin!

Roger Clemens steroid controversy
One thing I noticed right away about Brian McNamee is who he resembles. Here's a pic:



Does he not look like this guy?:



That second pic is, of course, Jughead Jones from Archie Comics. Those of us who read Archie Comics knew Jughead to be a lazy loafer who preferred hamburgers to chicks. Well, maybe this is who Jughead became. He changed his name and became a trainer for the New York Yankees so that he could afford to feed his hamburger habit. Thus, I wouldn’t trust this dude if I was a member of that Senate committee!

Dolly Parton is wagging puppies!
Recently, Dolly Parton had this to say:


"I know I have been breaking my neck and bending over backwards trying to get my new Backwoods Barbie CD and world tour together, but I didn't mean to hurt myself doing it. But hey, you try wagging these puppies around a while and see if you don't have back problems!"


What I want to know is - in light of the recent news stories about Michael Vick and his abuse of dogs, how can Dolly go around wagging puppies - much less joke about it! They must be some heavy puppies if she’s straining her back wagging them, because she’s a tiny woman (well, except for a certain part of her). Anyway, there she was, wagging puppies, and the reporters don’t say anything about it? And where’s PETA in all this?

Dallas Mavericks’ Jason Kidd trade
As of now, the trade still hasn’t happened, still because of Devon George because of the “Bird” rule that allows him to nix trades. Thing is, he asked to be traded not too long ago, so I’m sure that the Mavs felt that he would be okay with it. However, they probably should have asked so as to spare them this whole embarrassing episode.

They probably didn’t expect George to be holding up a trade like this, but the lawyers should still anticipate such things. George feels that he could lose out on potential free agent money by going through with this trade, but I think that now, because of this embarrassing episode, he’s in such a bad light now that I doubt that he’d get that extra money.

According to some news articles, he probably wasn’t going to get extra money anyway, because he’s not a top-notch player – but again, the Mavs could have asked first. In any case, I think George should now cut his losses and go through with the trade, because if the deal collapses because of him, then he’s going to be getting grief for the rest of the season - and he probably won’t be signed anywhere else unless he takes a drastic cut in pay. I don’t recall a trade causing this much interest, though. It actually took our minds off of the Clinton/Obama news for a while.

Thanks, folks! Have a great weekend!

No comments: