Sunday, March 09, 2008

Topic for March 2008: Journalism and the free press

My dream is to work for a city newspaper either as a columnist or as an editorial cartoonist, and preferably both. I love journalism, mainly because of the impact and influence that it can have on our society. Most of the time, that impact is positive, but sometimes it is negative. It all depends upon how it's done. Done right, and even the so-called "powers that be" have to stand and take notice. Done wrong, and it will be a long time before that media outlet will regain lost readership or viewership.

So during the course of the month, I shall be commenting on the journalism field and the freedom of the press. I shall also discuss why I love the field, and why it's a love that won't die despite the increased difficulty of breaking into the field. By the end of the month, I hope you'll see why we need a free press now more than ever.

Stay tuned, folks. More to come.

No comments: