Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Topic for July 2008: My views on issues. Today: Iraq and Iran

For this month, I'm going to give a brief rundown of my views on issues for those of you who might be new to my blog. Today will be on Iraq and Iran.

War in Iraq:
I was opposed going to war, because I am opposed to war in general. I'm not necessarily a pacifist, but I'm pretty close. I also feel that we should have not "put all our eggs in one basket" by committing our troops in one country, when the terrorists reside in other countries in the world - and not just in Iraq. However, now that we are there I do not favor an immediate pullout. We made the mess there, and we have the responsibility to clean it up. Lately Iraq has been asking for a timetable, and if Iraq is ready for us to move on, then maybe we can finally leave while saving face. We'll have to wait and see.

No War in Iran!
It's because of our experiences in Iraq that I am opposed to going to war with Iran. They've been experimenting with missles lately. I have no doubt whatsoever that Iran is trying to goad someone into attacking them so that they have their excuse to play the victim and fire back. We should not fall for it. Also, the GOP has proven woefully inept on running a war and on inspiring the country into backing it. I also have absolutely no faith in the Dems doing any better - if anything, they'll make things worse. Based on what I've seen Dems do in recent years, I don't know if they really believe that we're that stupid, or whether they themselves are that stupid, and a war is the worst way to find out which of the two it is.

No comments: