Sunday, June 24, 2007

Bush gives Pope a walking stick

I was a bit surprised that this news story was news. It's in regard to the gift that President Bush gave Pope Benedict XVI. Below is a pic of the gift. It's a walking stick that was made by a former homeless man. It's inscribed with the 10 Commandments, and it was that man's means of paying his bills. It was a 'controversy' because the gift was a rather homely gift, seeing that it came from the head of the most influential country in the world and it was given to someone whose influence is also very extensive. Also, the 10 Commandments are numbered according to the Protestant understanding, rather than the Catholic one. While I can understand all that, it seems to me that it's hard to give a gift to someone like Pope Benedict that he hasn't already gotten. I don't blame Bush for trying something different, and the Pope actually looks pleased with the gift.

At least Bush didn't give Benedict what former President Lyndon B. Johnson gave former Pope Paul VI: He gave him a statue of: Lyndon B. Johnson! I literally laughed out loud when I read that! CAN YOU IMAGINE the uproar from the mainstream media would have been had Bush done that? And Saturday Night Live would have material for endless skits!















By the way, folks - this is the last week for my "Post something every day" month. I've managed to do this so far! I'm on the last lap!

No comments: