Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Imperial Rome reborn

www.romereborn.virginia.edu

The link above is to a virtual recreation of Imperial Rome. What my computer could show looked impressive. Unfortunately, the image was small, and the music hesitant. I don't know if this means that the program is memory intensive to the point that my computer can't handle it. While my computer may not be the latest top-of-the-line model, it's no slouch, either. Maybe some of you can check it to see if your computer has trouble running the program smoothly.

Something else I would have liked is to be able to scroll the streets of Rome on my own by using my mouse and its scroll wheel, rather than letting the program do all the camera panning. If the programmers are going to go through the effort to recreate a virtual imperial Rome, they should at least allow us the chance to "walk" the streets on our own. After all, this is the only way we'll be able to wander the streets of old Rome!

Other than that, this recreation is nicely done. As a history buff, I really enjoyed it.

No comments: